Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to our FAQ Page
Gold Filled jewelry is jewelry composed of a solid layer of gold, (typically constituting at least 5% of the item's total weight) mechanically bonded to a base of either sterling silver or base metal.
Although the chains and components used in Meredith Kahn Jewelry are bonded with 14K yellow gold, they tend to have the same appearance as high carat gold and can appear to have more of a rosey tone. The life of a Gold Filled piece of Jewelry is fantastic! Gold-filled items, even with daily wear, can last 10 to 30 years though the layer of gold will eventually wear off exposing the metal underneath. The layer of gold on gold-filled items is 5 to 10 times thicker than that produced by regular gold plating. The exposure of water, sun, chemicals, fragrances and oils tend to affect most metals. I have experienced that Gold Filled does stand the test of wear when coming into contact with these elements. Although not recommended, if a piece of Jewelry is 100% Gold-filled, it is a great item to wear as a "never take off" piece!
There are so many different kinds of plating and who can keep track! When a chain or piece of Jewelry is "plated", this can mean so many different things...
- 14K Gold Plating: This is typically when there is a layer of Gold, the item should specify the carat of gold it is plated in, plated over brass or base metal. This is the lowest quality of plating and is not used in Meredith Kahn Jewelry. This plating will not last long and eventually will tarnish.
- 14K Gold Vermeil (pronounced "ver-may"): This process is when genuine 925 Sterling Silver is plated with 14K Gold. Meredith Kahn Jewelry does not use a very thick layer of Gold in the Vermeil products. This plating does wear over time and can easily be re-plated. It is not recommended to use cleaning agents or polishing cloths on Vermeil as it will remove the plating.
- 14K Gold-Filled: Jewelry that is composed of a solid layer of 14K Gold, (typically constituting at least 5% of the item's total weight) mechanically bonded to a base of either Sterling Silver, Brass or Base Metal. Although the chains and components used in Meredith Kahn Jewelry are bonded with 14K yellow gold, they tend to have the same appearance as high carat gold and can appear to have more of a rosey tone. The life of a Gold Filled piece of Jewelry is fantastic! Gold-filled items, even with daily wear, can last 10 to 30 years though the layer of gold will eventually wear off exposing the metal underneath. The layer of gold on gold-filled items is 5 to 10 times thicker than that produced by regular gold plating.
Wearing Jewelry by the pool, on the beach or in the sea is a sexy and luxurious way to enjoy your Jewelry! That said, I leave this decision entirely up to you. I can only recommend what you can do in order to extend the lifespan of your pieces. Here are some tips you can follow for your various pieces.
If you want the nutshell, its:
Solid Gold= Usually
Gold Filled= Sometimes
- 14K Solid Gold: Some people like to have their "never take off" pieces. Solid Gold pieces in any carat are the best to be your "never take off" pieces. While the residue from soaps, salts, oils, lotions and fragrances may leave a residue and leave your pieces looking dull and lackluster, you can always pop them into an ultrasonic, Jewelry cleaning solution or rub them with a polishing cloth in order to get them back to their original state. The thing to remember is that the higher the carat, the softer the gold. This means that your pieces when worn and never taken off, can scratch easily. I recommend bringing your pieces to a local trusted Jeweler if you would like to have them professionally cleaned and polished.
- 14K Gold Filled Jewelry: If your piece consists of 100% Gold Filled, and is not mixed with any other metals, you can also wear your pieces in water and wear them as your "never take off" pieces. Unlike Solid Gold, Gold Filled is not as resilient and will wear over time. It will take a very long time, but eventually, the Gold will fade and wear off revealing the metals underneath.
- 14K Gold Vermeil: Because there is only a thin layer of Gold plated over the Sterling Silver, I do not recommend that you swim or bathe in this Jewelry. I would also recommend that you remove your pieces prior to any activities that will cause you to perspire. Vermeil will give you the appearance of gold but it does not behave like solid gold.
- Any Jewelry with Stones: There are different rules that apply depending on what type of Stones are set into your Jewelry as well as how they are set. Meredith Kahn Jewelry does not glue any stones. All of the stones and pearls used in my collection are either set or use a wire wrapping technique. While it is ok to wear your stones in water, know that they will get cloudy over time as the residue builds around the setting and on the surface of the stone. I do not recommend that you wear your pearls in water. The chemicals and chlorines from pools and other bodies of water can destroy their natural luster. It is always best to put your pearl or pearls on as the last step of your "getting ready", including your perfume sprays and lotions!
Absolutely YES! I do lots of Custom Jewelry Design work for existing AND new clients. Drop me a line at email@example.com.
I have spent over 10 years years working with clients and couples as they venture into their new chapter together. I can work with you or your partner independently, or can work with you both together. We can work face to face if you are local or through email and phone by submitting references, detailed information and sketches/renderings. I can work with mostly any budget and if I feel that we are not going to be a good fit, I will be honest with you up front and recommend a better option for you to explore. If you are interested in working on a Ceremonial Ring project together, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most of the pieces that are available inside the Meredith Kahn Jewelry online shop are made to order. Most orders take between 4-6 weeks to process and ship. There is a section under the shop menu that is called IN STOCK NOW. In this section you will find all of the styles that are currently stocked and available for immediate shipping. Please note that immediate shipping may not always mean that it is able to ship the same day due to order processing as well as the time the order was placed. If you are in a bind and you need a last minute gift or NEED that little something to wear on vacation, please send me an email and we can discuss the best option to insure you receive your Jewelry in time!
Yes! These chains ARE different. Not only are they different in weight, but they are also different in design. Here are the facts!
Nova Chain: Each chain link measures a smidge over 1/2" in length. The shape of each link is an elongated oval with a tiny groove at either end where the chain links connect.
Leilou Chain: Each chain link measures 3/8" in length. The shape of each link is more of a squared off oval and the wire that forms the link is in the shape of very think Linguini Pasta! My Italian roots always want to use pasta to reference shape.
Here is a photo to give you a visual explanation!
Since we are all different sizes and shapes, no necklace you see on someone else will look the same on YOU! The best way to decide which length will work for you, is to follow these steps!
- Decide where you would like your necklace to fall. This can be at a length you admired on someone else, a position that works with the other necklaces you wear, or how it will fit in to the various necklaces in your wardrobe.
- Find a necklace in your Jewelry drawer/box that falls close enough to the length of the necklace that you would like to purchase.
- Measure the length of that necklace and use that as a reference for the necklace you would like to purchase.
- If you cannot find a necklace that matches the length you prefer, you can use a string or ribbon to drape around your neck. Cut the string or ribbon to the length you prefer. Remove it from your neck, lay it flat and measure the string or ribbon to get to the desired length!
All Meredith Kahn Jewelry sales are final sale. Meredith Kahn Jewelry insures that you are receiving an authentic product. I personally inspect each piece of Jewelry that passes through my Studio whether it is made by me or one of the valued Jewelry Studios in New York City. Meredith Kahn Jewelry is a small, independently owned business. While your satisfaction with your order is my priority, returns are not preferred unless there is a special circumstance that is deserving of a return. If you feel that you have received a product that warrants a return, please email me at Meredith@MeredithKahn.com.